The Zili Story
Zili was born of a kind of personal and professional dilemma that inspired me to re-evaluate the “big” questions about how to promote healthy living. As a family doctor for more than ten years, I have done all I can to help patients confront and solve their personal health concerns. Yet somehow, it felt like it wasn’t enough.
I began to realize that at the end of my long days at the office, often seeing more than 30 patients each day, something didn’t feel right. I was diagnosing more patients with devastating cancers, and seeing more patients with anxiety and depression at all ages. This has made me refocus my approach to find preventative care opportunities in almost every patient visit, but it has not been easy within our current health care system. But the beauty of family practice is that there is continuity of care with patients; and over time, family physicians can accumulate a wealth of information, providing their patients are open to this exploration.
Prevention is not just about screening tests or annual physical examinations. It’s about taking ownership of your health and creating a relationship with your family doctor, with continuity of care. It’s about making our system value family physicians, and encouraging them to be the forefront of preventative health.
I now focus on prevention with all my patients. It’s an approach that I want all Canadians to have access to. That is why Zili was created. With Zili, we can come together as a community, and help one another be accountable for our health and wellbeing. We can bring prevention to the forefront of our medical system, and decrease the load of medically ill patients in our hospitals and emergency rooms. Ultimately, we can take charge of our health as a unified community; and effect real, sustainable change in the way our system works.
ZILI promotes and supports preventative health initiatives in Canada and across the globe.
Preventative integrative health: ZILI is the face of prevention and is accessible to all.
- Universal and personalized: Customized to your values and life practices with a universal chart that integrates the Medicare system with non-Medicare-covered allied health care.
- Preventative: Proactively caring for your mind, body and spirit.
- Knowledgeable: Integrative, evidenced-based health information that is easy to understand.
- User-friendly: Connect to ZILI and navigate with ease.
- Communal: Fostering a sense of belonging and support that helps facilitate personal accountability for individual health.